From the Page to the Screen: Daisy Jones & The Six Hits Prime Video

Nicole Lemire, Co-Editor-in-Chief

“Daisy Jones & The Six” is a popular novel which follows the rise and fall of a fictional 70s rock band. Amazon Prime Video announced that they would be adapting the novel into a miniseries which will premiere on March 3, 2023.

This book review of Daisy Jones & The Six is spoiler free!

By the time this issue of The Beacon hits the press, there will only be one day until the highly anticipated television adaptation of Taylor Jenkins Reid’s novel “Daisy Jones & The Six” begins streaming.

One of my friends gave me her copy of the book a few weeks ago and said, “Nicole, you need to read this book before the show comes out, you’ll love it.”

Normally, I am an avid reader, and will go through phases of reading multiple books per week. Unfortunately, so far 2023 has been one of the most hectic years of my life, and between trying to balance my last semester of college with working, I haven’t had much time for reading. But this book pulled me out of my slump, and really reminded me why I love to read so much.

“Daisy Jones & The Six” follows the fictional rock band of the same name, from their origins to eventual downfall in the late 1970s. The book depicts the struggles of each individual member of the band, such as drug addictions, forbidden love, family problems, and the price of fame and success. The two main characters and lead singers of the band, Daisy Jones and Billy Dunne, walk the line between enemies and lovers for the entire book, leaving the reader unsure of exactly how things will play out. The supporting cast is composed of the other five band members, who also have their own storylines and struggles which are explored.

Possibly my favorite aspect of the novel is how it is formatted. The story is told through a series of interviews with the band members and other characters, conducted by a fictional author more than 40 years after the events in the novel take place— a fictional oral history. The interviewees’ accounts often contradict each other, creating an unreliable narrative as all members have differing opinions and recollections of certain events. I was originally very skeptical of this writing style, but I think it only added to the chaotic and overwhelming vibe of the story. The dialogue was very realistic and also allowed the audience to see the perspective and personality of each character, rather than just following a single narrator through the events.

Initially, my only criticism of the book was that the ending felt too rushed. However, after reflecting on the ending for a few days, I’ve come to realize that the ending is what makes the book feel so real. The novel ends with the group disbanding, and with each member explaining what their life became in the years following the band. The rushed feeling of the ending is to represent the abrupt split of a band that is at the height of their career and in the middle of a world tour. The story feels like it should continue, because that is how the band’s fans likely would have felt in that situation. The culmination of events that led to the end of the band all came to a head at once, causing an unexpected and messy split.

This is the second novel of Reid’s that I have read, the first being “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo,” which is also in the works of being adapted into a movie. “Daisy Jones” and “Evelyn Hugo” take place in the same universe, and both follow the life stories of incredibly popular fictional celebrities, told through interviews taking place years after the peaks of their success. There are several supporting characters who appear in both novels, helping to tie together the world that she is creating.

For me, the reason why these novels are so enjoyable is because they are so realistic to our world and the way that we view celebrities. “Daisy Jones & The Six” clearly takes inspiration from the real life story and drama of Fleetwood Mac, while the character of Evelyn Hugo has numerous similarities to Marilyn Monroe. Many people, myself included, are invested in pop culture and would love for controversial and iconic celebrities to tell their life stories the way that the characters in Reid’s books do, sparing no details.

“Daisy Jones & The Six” begins streaming on Amazon Prime Video on March 3, 2023, when the first three episodes will be available to watch immediately. It is a mini-series that will be filmed in a documentary style to match the format of the novel, starring Riley Keough and Sam Claflin as Daisy and Billy, among an ensemble cast. The show will feature original music from the band, including a full-length album titled Aurora, the same name as the band’s album in the novel. If you are looking for an exciting and quick read, I would definitely recommend checking out “Daisy Jones & The Six” and consider giving the miniseries a watch when it premieres tomorrow.