A Check-In On Our New Year’s Resolutions

Jillian Currier, Co-Editor-in-Chief

I think everyone has those moments approaching the New Year where they really feel themselves start to change, start to think about all the changes they’re going to make, and dream about how wonderful their life will be once they change them. And then the ball drops, we drink champagne, and wake up the next morning not changing a single thing.

For twenty years of my life, I did this exact routine — just thinking about all the possibilities instead of actually going after them. For no reason other than I was lazy and had no motivation to actually put the work in to create change in my life. I just assumed that eventually it would figure itself out without the work put in, and I’d find myself with the feeling of a brand-new life without actually making it happen.

This year was very different for me. I had just gone through a rough breakup a few months prior to the new year. I felt like a completely new person, and it truly felt like I could do anything with my life going forward. I felt vulnerable and scared, but also empowered to do whatever I wanted in my life without anything holding me back.

So, with all of this in mind and the world (seemingly) at my fingertips, I decided to sit down a write out some resolutions. I wanted to start simple, but also challenge myself to keep them up throughout the year so I could track my progress. The two I decided on were to journal every day, and make To-Do lists for myself every day.

Checking in now at the time of writing this, on April 10, 2023, I have journaled every single day since January 1, and have made To-Do lists every single day as well. It doesn’t seem like a big accomplishment, but that’s months of feelings and plans and thoughts written down and out of my mind. Months of tasks I need to complete at my fingertips instead of lost in my head.

It’s helped me tremendously week by week, whether it be for assignments I have to do for my classes, or even just a reminder to journal every day, they’ve gone hand-in-hand with each other. And while I’m proud of myself, I can’t help but wonder what else I could’ve accomplished by this point.

I’m a strong believer in seasonal depression, and I truly think resolutions are sometimes dampened by that brief moment of sadness when the sun doesn’t shine. Now that I can comfortably walk outside in shorts and a hoodie and not freeze or sweat to death, I think it’s time to add more to the list.

Feeling the sunshine on your face after being snowed in for months has to be one of the best feelings in the world, and it clears my head every time it happens. So, while I sat on campus just feeling the sun hit my skin, I decided on two resolutions I want to add to my list.

The first one is going to be sitting outside whenever the sun is out for as long as I can. It seems mundane, but after spending so much time inside, it really feels needed. It’s like a mini reset whenever I sit in the sun, like a temporary bandage until the next time it happens.

The next one is bringing a book along with me whenever I sit outside. Another mundane one, but I always think about all of the media I’m missing my limiting my consumption to TV and movies, so I figured I’d start reading again. Plus, it goes hand-in-hand with the first one, just like my other resolutions.

So, if you’re like me and surprised by how long you’ve been sticking it out with your resolutions, I recommend adding more. New ones that are positively influenced by the sun shining again, and not ruined by the looming threat of snow every day. Or even if you didn’t make resolutions, or couldn’t keep up with any from January, make some now! There never has to be a big reason to create change, other than just wanting to yourself.