The Online Beacon

The Student News Site of Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts

The Online Beacon

The Online Beacon

The Online Beacon

North Adams Weather

• 4 AM
    34 °
  • 5 AM
    35 °
  • 6 AM
    37 °
  • 7 AM
    41 °
  • 8 AM
    45 °
  • 9 AM
    49 °
  • 10 AM
    52 °
  • 11 AM
    54 °
  • 12 PM
    56 °
  • 1 PM
    57 °
  • 2 PM
    58 °
  • 3 PM
    57 °
  • 4 PM
    57 °
  • 5 PM
    56 °
  • 6 PM
    54 °
  • 7 PM
    51 °
  • 8 PM
    48 °
  • 9 PM
    45 °
  • 10 PM
    44 °
  • 11 PM
    44 °
  • 12 AM
    43 °
  • 1 AM
    43 °
  • 2 AM
    42 °
  • 3 AM
    43 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
April 27
59°/ 33°
Patchy rain nearby
April 28
64°/ 42°
Patchy rain nearby
April 29
65°/ 46°
Patchy rain nearby

“Character Stands Above All”: Vianney Escobedo Herrera Student Spotlight

MCLA student, Vianney Escobedo Herrera ‘26 says, “Character stands above all”.

Escobedo Herrera is a student of many accomplishments, both in and outside of school. She holds the title of Vice President of Latin American Society (LAS), she is a Trio Ambassador, a Trio Tutor, and an Office Assistant at MCLA. She was also once part of MCLA’s SGA and SAC. In high school, she was part of Student Government, Student Council, and National Honor Society. She was also President of her school’s music organization, a mentor for incoming Freshman students, an English Language Development and Math Tutor, a Varsity Captain for volleyball, a soccer captain, and a “Founding Senior” for the Track and Field Team. But Escobedo Herrera is most appreciative of one award in specific. 

“My biggest accomplishment, I would say, was receiving a character award. It’s not like an academic award or anything. It was an award given to me for showing what it means to have good character.”

Escobedo Herrara then discusses the importance of maintaining “good character” in all aspects of life. She claims, “You can be very smart, you can be very talented, but if your character is negative, then you are not going to stay at the top…It’s also just a great thing when someone’s like ‘Hey you are a great person, you are working hard, you have ambition’…I don’t think anything could ever top that.”

Regarding LAS, when asked what sorts of qualities she possesses that contribute to the club’s success, she replies, “I’m very ambitious. When I tie that into LAS…I feel like it helps with the convincing part of it. I’m able to get through to people without being afraid. I also think it’s personal ties. I, myself, want more representation, and at the end of the day the role is about dedication.”

She highlights the benefits of getting involved in clubs and leadership positions, and how these sorts of activities shape one’s character. To Escobedo Herrera, it does not matter how small the role or accomplishment might be, because every achievement adds up to something bigger. 

“I did a variety of things,” she says, “ranging from music, all the way to sports, all the way to student engagement. And because I was exposed to so many groups, I got a lot of valuable experience from working with different people…Those leadership positions added up to me being able to attend a governor school, full ride, fully funded…It pays off when it’s visible, but even if it’s not visible, you gain the experience.”

Escobedo Herrera’s biggest advice for students is to take risks. She wants to remind her fellow peers that experience is everything and everything is a process, and to not be intimidated by the bumps and bruises along the way. Her definition of success is not defined by a measure of winning, she instead defines it: “Success is measured by growth and consistency. Sometimes success can look like just showing up every day…Other times it can be hosting an event that only has three or four people attend. I think success is bigger than just the win, it’s everything that comes in between.” 

She then leaves students with a few words of encouragement, including one of her favorite quotes: “What I lack in natural ability, I make up for in discipline.”

She follows up with, “I was a gifted student, but I was never the best of the best. I always had to put in the extra ten percent compared to everyone else. I didn’t start off with all these accomplishments, I worked for them.”

Escobedo Herrera’s hope to remind students to keep on keeping on and never to underestimate yourself, because “The worst that can happen,” she claims, “is you get knocked down two steps, but then you move forward three.” 

Go join LAS at the Taco Tuesday Open House on Tuesday, February 20th at the MCLA Campus Center Marketplace from 5:30 pm-7:30 pm.