The Online Beacon

The Student News Site of Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts

The Online Beacon

The Online Beacon

The Online Beacon

North Adams Weather

• 8 AM
    45 °
  • 9 AM
    49 °
  • 10 AM
    52 °
  • 11 AM
    54 °
  • 12 PM
    56 °
  • 1 PM
    57 °
  • 2 PM
    58 °
  • 3 PM
    57 °
  • 4 PM
    57 °
  • 5 PM
    56 °
  • 6 PM
    54 °
  • 7 PM
    51 °
  • 8 PM
    48 °
  • 9 PM
    45 °
  • 10 PM
    44 °
  • 11 PM
    44 °
  • 12 AM
    43 °
  • 1 AM
    43 °
  • 2 AM
    42 °
  • 3 AM
    43 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    43 °
  • 6 AM
    43 °
  • 7 AM
    45 °
  • 8 AM
    47 °
April 27
59°/ 34°
Patchy rain nearby
April 28
67°/ 41°
Patchy rain nearby
April 29
62°/ 44°
Patchy rain nearby

English and Communications Department Welcomes New Social Media Manager

The MCLA English and Communications department is starting off the fall semester with a brand new Social Media Manager. Ash Muzzillo ‘25 is new to the school and the English department with this being her first semester at MCLA. “I am originally from Connecticut. I chose MCLA due to their accessibility, affordability, and the opportunities they could provide me,” Muzzillo said. She also attributes choosing MCLA to being able to meet a few of the English and Communications department faculty before finalizing her decision. 

Muzzillo is acclimating well to the environment of MCLA. She said, “My favorite part of MCLA is actually the education. I’m extremely dedicated to my major and what I’m learning, and I’m excited to take more specialized courses in the following semesters, especially since there are so many options!”

When most people think about a social media manager, they think about someone who is in charge of making posts on social media for a certain company or department, but Muzzillo wants everyone to know that there is much more to the job. “My responsibilities as social media manager vary – I am sometimes responsible for the creation of flyers, so graphic design. Other times I attend events that faculty have created in order to gather content and to post and spread the word. I also have to keep up connections with other students in case there is an event that I am unable to attend or was unaware of; classmates can send me photos they took at events, faculty can request that I post their ideas to our platforms, etc. My first post to the English & Communications socials should be up this week!” she said.

Muzzillo is hoping to bring a unique perspective to the English and Communications department. She explained why she applied for this position and what experience she is hoping to bring: “I applied for this job for a few reasons. The first being that I have experience using social media and gaining traction – I have almost 10,000 followers across different social media platforms, and I’ve picked up various knowledge about what attracts people, what makes them stay, etc. The second reason I applied was because I wanted to become more involved in my department – as someone who wants to use the degree I’m earning in my career regularly, it’s common knowledge that making connections and networking is essential. Not only does the social media managing help with that, but so does becoming involved in the department!”

All in all, Muzzillo’s goal is to be involved in the department, and do what she can to leave an impact. “I’d love to have an influence on the English & Communications department as a whole – suggesting new and innovative ideas on how to grow the department and make people excited to be a part of it, but I’d also love to get some more writers on campus! Authors, poets, journalists, story-boarders, and more. It’s always great to have a fresh, outside perspective,” Muzzillo said. 

Muzzillo encourages all students who are interested to engage with the English and Communications department on social media! She said, “The department is working on growing and evolving to better suit our students and their interests! If anyone would like to propose something to be posted on our socials, they can contact me directly or reach out to a faculty member! Keep an eye on the English & Communications socials for updates and news!”

Students can follow the English and Communications department on Instagram or X (Twitter) (@mclaenglcomm).

View Comments (1)