The Online Beacon

The Student News Site of Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts

The Online Beacon

The Online Beacon

The Online Beacon

North Adams Weather

• 10 AM
    59 °
  • 11 AM
    63 °
  • 12 PM
    66 °
  • 1 PM
    69 °
  • 2 PM
    70 °
  • 3 PM
    70 °
  • 4 PM
    70 °
  • 5 PM
    66 °
  • 6 PM
    63 °
  • 7 PM
    62 °
  • 8 PM
    60 °
  • 9 PM
    58 °
  • 10 PM
    58 °
  • 11 PM
    58 °
  • 12 AM
    58 °
  • 1 AM
    58 °
  • 2 AM
    58 °
  • 3 AM
    57 °
  • 4 AM
    55 °
  • 5 AM
    54 °
  • 6 AM
    52 °
  • 7 AM
    52 °
  • 8 AM
    52 °
  • 9 AM
    54 °
  • 10 AM
    57 °
April 28
71°/ 43°
Moderate rain
April 29
65°/ 44°
Patchy rain nearby
April 30
62°/ 46°
Heavy rain

Addressing the Mold Concern: Insights into MCLA’s Current Situation

As concerns about mold and water incursion persist on the MCLA campus, the institution has embarked on a proactive journey to fortify its buildings and enhance safety measures. These proactive actions, tailored to address specific challenges and prioritize the well-being of the campus community, underscore MCLA’s commitment to maintaining a safe and supportive environment for all.

In response to ongoing maintenance needs, MCLA has made the strategic decision to temporarily relocate Public Safety and Venable staff. This relocation allows for essential roof and related work to be conducted on the buildings, ensuring that necessary repairs can be carried out efficiently and without disruption. By proactively addressing maintenance issues, MCLA demonstrates its commitment to preserving the integrity of its structures and safeguarding against potential water infiltration risks.

Recognizing the pivotal role of staff in identifying and addressing health and safety concerns, MCLA has launched a campus-wide staff health and safety educational process. This initiative aims to equip staff with the knowledge and tools needed to promptly report any issues they encounter. By fostering a culture of vigilance and accountability, MCLA empowers its staff to play an active role in maintaining a safe and secure campus environment. Through collaborative efforts and timely reporting, potential hazards can be swiftly identified and mitigated, minimizing risks to the campus community.

To further bolster its proactive approach, MCLA has enlisted the expertise of Salvatore Cretella from Safety Solution Consultants Inc. (SSCI). In his role as an environmental health and safety professional, Cretella provides specialized guidance and support to MCLA staff. His responsibilities include educating staff on best practices, conducting periodic audits of campus buildings to identify moisture-related issues, and identifying opportunities to enhance health and safety measures. With Cretella’s regular presence on campus, MCLA gains invaluable insights and recommendations to proactively address potential risks and ensure the continued safety of its facilities.

In navigating the challenges posed by mold and water incursion, MCLA remains steadfast in its commitment to the safety and well-being of its campus community. Through targeted proactive measures, education initiatives, and expert guidance, MCLA strives to effectively manage potential risks and maintain a resilient and supportive campus environment. By working together and prioritizing safety, MCLA reinforces its dedication to fostering a thriving community where students, faculty, and staff can learn, work, and thrive in a safe and secure environment.

In addition to MCLA’s immediate response actions and proactive measures, the institution is exploring innovative solutions to further enhance the campus’s resilience against mold and water incursion challenges. One such initiative involves the implementation of advanced building materials and technologies designed to better withstand extreme weather events and minimize the risk of moisture infiltration. By investing in sustainable infrastructure upgrades and incorporating state-of-the-art building practices, MCLA aims to fortify the campus against environmental hazards while promoting sustainability and resilience in the face of evolving climate conditions.

Upon encountering instances of water incursion in buildings like Venable Hall and the Brewer-Perkins building, MCLA swiftly engaged external professionals to assess the extent of moisture and mold presence. In adherence to recommendations from occupational hygiene experts, affected areas underwent dehumidification and drying processes within 24-48 hours. Furthermore, staff were relocated as a precautionary measure to mitigate potential health risks.

In response to water backup issues in Bowman Hall, air quality reviews were conducted, and appropriate measures were implemented to address concerns. Importantly, no disruption to classroom activities or office operations occurred, ensuring minimal impact on daily campus activities.

MCLA extends its appreciation to Joseph DaSilva, Vice President of Administration and Finance, for his leadership and support in addressing mold concerns on campus. His commitment to ensuring the well-being of the campus community has been instrumental in guiding the institution’s response efforts.

In conclusion, MCLA remains dedicated to proactively addressing mold concerns and upholding the safety and well-being of its campus community. By working together and remaining vigilant, we can effectively manage mold-related challenges and maintain a conducive learning and working environment for all. As we move forward, we emphasize the importance of collective responsibility in maintaining the safety and health of our community. We encourage all members of the MCLA community to remain vigilant and report any safety or health concerns promptly to facilitate timely response and resolution. By working together and fostering open communication, we can effectively address challenges like mold growth and uphold the well-being of our campus community.

For further inquiries or assistance, individuals are encouraged to contact Salvatore Cretella at [email protected].

Together, let us continue to prioritize the health and safety of the MCLA community.