The Online Beacon

The Student News Site of Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts

The Online Beacon

The Online Beacon

The Online Beacon

North Adams Weather

• 6 AM
    37 °
  • 7 AM
    41 °
  • 8 AM
    45 °
  • 9 AM
    49 °
  • 10 AM
    52 °
  • 11 AM
    54 °
  • 12 PM
    56 °
  • 1 PM
    57 °
  • 2 PM
    58 °
  • 3 PM
    57 °
  • 4 PM
    57 °
  • 5 PM
    56 °
  • 6 PM
    54 °
  • 7 PM
    51 °
  • 8 PM
    48 °
  • 9 PM
    45 °
  • 10 PM
    44 °
  • 11 PM
    44 °
  • 12 AM
    43 °
  • 1 AM
    43 °
  • 2 AM
    42 °
  • 3 AM
    43 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    43 °
  • 6 AM
    43 °
April 27
59°/ 33°
Patchy rain nearby
April 28
64°/ 42°
Patchy rain nearby
April 29
65°/ 46°
Patchy rain nearby

Lenox Standout and a Call for a Vote of No Preference

Picasa
Photo credit to pittsfield.com

Every Sunday, starting on February 25th, 2024, a group of five-to-ten people have been showing up in Lenox, Massachusetts for a peaceful standout in support of a cease fire and an end of the occupation in Palestine. On March 3rd, there was only one person present, but there is usually around 5 to 10 people in attendance. Since March 2nd, International Day of Action, there have been protests all around the globe besides this one including some in Williamstown as well Park Square in Pittsfield, Massachusetts.

Anna Wolf stood outside at 489 Pittsfield Road, with a sign that read “Honk for Aaron Bushnell”. Aaron Bushnell was a 25-year-old member of the United States Air Force, where he worked as a cyber-defense operations specialist with the 531st Intelligence Support Squadron. A since deleted Facebook post was made by him where he wrote, “Many of us like to ask ourselves, ‘What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?’ The answer is, you’re doing it. Right now.” This post was in reference to the ongoing conflict in Palestine. On February 25th, Bushnell, dressed in his Air Force Uniform, had set himself on fire outside the Israeli embassy in Washington, DC, as an act of protest against the occupation of Palestine, which according to CNN has resulted in the deaths of over 30,000 people total (not including those who set themselves on fire as protest). Wolf talked about how the protests that are going on all over the Berkshires and the rest of the world are helping to share his voice and his message. Bushnell was the second United States citizens to commit self-Immolation as an act of protest against the occupation of Palestine withing the past 4 months. The first was a protester who, in December of 2023, set themselves on fire outside the Israeli Consulate in Atlanta, Georgia. The protester was brought to the hospital in critical condition after receiving third-degree burns.

Wolf talked about how Democrats that a registered to vote in the state of Massachusetts have an opportunity at the upcoming Democratic Primary, on March 5th, 2024. On the ballot Massachusetts Democrats will be able to choose from any candidates that are currently on the ballot, but also will also have the ability to choose to vote no preference with regards to this primary. She said, “It sends a message to Biden… that this is important.” This push within Massachusetts to vote no preference has come up due to many people in the Democratic Party being disappointed in Biden’s actions in regard to the conflict in Palestine. Biden has talked about how he hopes for a ceasefire yet has continued to support Israel through weapons sale. Twice he has in fact bypassed Congress completely in order to make these deals. She also recognized that this is a controversial idea. Some people feel that if the Democratic party becomes split, much like they did in the 2016 election, the country could be at risk of yet another Donald Trump Presidency. Voting no preference means that a voter does not prefer either candidate, and despite common misunderstanding, actually results in your vote going towards none of the candidates on the ballot. On the Massachusetts Ballot there is a prearranged option of voting no preference, so this differs from a write in campaign. Massachusetts is not the only state in which there is or has been a push for Democrats to vote no preference. States like North Carolina, who has both their Democratic and Republican primary on Tuesday March 5th, 2024, as well, is also a facing a call for Democrats to vote no preference.